Visit to Bogyoke Aung San Museum
The Bogyoke Aung San Museum located in Bahan, Yangon is a museum dedicated to General Aung San, the founder of modern Myanmar (Burma). Established in 1962, the two storey museum was Aung San's last residence before his assassination in July 1947. It is a colonial-era villa, built in 1921, where his daughter Aung San Suu Kyi grew up as a child. The museum, with its focus on Gen.Aung San's short adult life, is complementary to the Bogyoke Aung San Residence Museum in Natmauk, Magwe Division which is dedicated to his childhood and family memorabilia. It houses exhibits on his life story and general memorabilia which includes clothing, books, furniture, family photos and the late general's car.
For many years, the museum was opened only for three hours each year- on the Martyrs' Day of July, from 9 am to 4 pm. The restriction is in line with the current military government's policy of restricting any mention of Gen. Aung San in the media in order to marginalize Aung San Suu Kyi. The museum formally reopened on 24 March 2012.
The museum is listed on the Yangon City Heritage List.
Ground Floor Displays:
- The majority of the displays are located at the family room, dining room and living room on the ground floor.
- Photos of his youth at Natmauk, including those of the Buddhist monastery where he received primary education and other certificates of educational achievements
- Photos at various political activities and during travels abroad
- Displays of his famous speeches
- Family Photos
- Other personal mementos such as handwritten notes to hsi wife Khin Kyi, personel lighter etched Aung San and ash tray, etc.
- Car used for official transport until the day of assassination
Upper Floor Displays
- Bedroom of Aung San and Khin Kyi
- Bedrooms of their children
- Meeting room
In the Graden
In the garden of the house, there is a bronze statue of Aung San doing gardening work, and also there swimming pool where his middle son Aung San Lin drowned.
Opening Hours:10 AM to 4 PM
Closed On:Monday, Tuesday and Gazetted Holidays
Admission Fees:300 Kyats per pax
Credit to:The Traveller Journal
(3 years ago)
Explore in Myanmar
If you have plan to visit Myanmar, you can explore through the site and see the Golden Land (Myanmar). You are welcome to Myanmar. Why we invite you, here there are things that you have never touched in your life.
Pottery class tour is waiting.... Come and Join with us!
Inle Lake is one of the top tourist attractions and bustling tourist center in Myanmar. Leg rowing is world known…More Detail!
This package includes Yangon, Bago and Golden Rock (Kyaikhtioyoe Pagoda). In yangon, you can feel wonderful when you see the…More Detail!
Let me brought you to touch the nature! Pha-an is surrounded by Zwekabin Mountain and it has many beautiful caves.…More Detail!